What privacy challenges are AdTech companies facing?
- Safari’s Intelligent Tracking Prevention (ITP) blocks third-party cookies by default and puts restricts on how long first-party cookies and local storage data can be stored in a user’s browser.
- Firefox’s Enhanced Tracking Protection blocks cross-site tracking cookies (AdTech third-party cookies) by default and can block device fingerprints by changing the privacy settings.
- GDPR requires publishers, advertisers, and AdTech platforms to obtain explicit and voluntary consent from users to collect their data.
- EU Data protection authorities (DPAs) have already investigated AdTech companies regarding their non-compliance with the GDPR. The UK’s ICO has said that the way user data is collected via RTB is not compliant with the GDPR.
- The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) gives residents and citizens of California the right to say no to the sale of their data.